This has always been one of my favorite recipes! Aromatic, and moist with a crunchy top and edges, sweet but not too sweet, this cake is a very versatile goodie. I've had it for dessert, or even in the morning for breakfast with a hot cup of coffee or tea. Or even a snack slice at mid-day. There really is no wrong time or way to eat this cake! So when we went vegan I knew I had to find a way to make this dairy and egg free. The results are just as delicious, although the cake doesn't dome quite as much during baking, and its a little bit more moist, it still tastes the same!
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup organic sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 vegan eggs*
1 cup olive oil
1 tsp almond extract
3/4 cup non dairy milk (I used almond)
1/2 cup dark chocolate pieces or chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F
1. Grease a 9in pie or cake pan or 1 large muffin tin.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
3. In another bowl whisk the vegan egg well and then add the olive oil, milk, and almond extract. Mix well to combine.
4. Using a spatula or a wooden spoon gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, until just combined. Then add in chocolate.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in oven for one hour until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
•Allow cake to cool before slicing.
*I like Follow Your Heart brand vegan egg replacer. Mix according to package directions.