Vegan Strawberry 'Pop Tarts'!
I was craving something sweet with my cup of coffee today and decided that a flaky hand pie fit the bill perfectly. Time is always limited with two littles running around my feet 24/7, so my recipe needed to be relatively simple and quick to make too. I simplified this recipe by utilizing some store bought organic strawberry fruit spread as the filling instead of making my own from scratch.
For these 'pop tarts' you will need some sprinkles of your choosing as well. I was excited to use these unique specialty vegan sprinkles from Meringue Shop.
For the crust:
2 cups organic wheat flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
2/3 cup solid organic coconut oil
1/2 cup ice cold water
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F, and prepare a surface to roll out your dough. I used a silicone baking mat, dusted with flour.
2.In a mixing bowl add the flour, and salt, mix together.
3. Next cut in the coconut oil with a pastry cutter or fork until there are no large lumps and the flour resembles bread crumbs.
4. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water at a time to the dough and mix together until the right consistency is reached. You want the dough to come together but not be sticky.
5. Place dough on flour dusted work surface and roll out into a flat rectangle using a dusted rolling pin.
6. Using a sharp knife cut equal amounts of rectangles.
7. Spread about a tablespoon of jam in the middle of half the rectangles.
8. Cover each jam covered rectangle with a rectangle of plain dough and pinch together with a fork around all the edges.
9. Place each tart on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 mins.
10. Meanwhile mix the powdered sugar in a small bowl with a splash of non dairy milk until icing is smooth and not too runny.
11. After pop tarts are removed from the oven and have completely cooled, top with icing and sprinkles!